About the Journal
Focus and Scope
- Disseminate works performed by national or foreign researchers, once they meet the required scientific quality criteria.
- Publish articles related to empirical research, technological development reports, model proposals and innovations, graduate and postgraduate thesis products provided they are a contribution to the field of science and technology, as well as select state of the art literature reviews.
- Promote scientific and technological development through the dissemination of original and unpublished works written in Spanish and English; that is, they cannot have been published through any other printed or electronic medium.
Scope of the Journal
INGENIUS publishes original contributions in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Computer Science and its integration in what is now known as Mechatronics, as well as related areas: Automation, Control, Domotics, Robotics in its different fields of action and all those disciplines connected interdisciplinarily with the central thematic line.
It is aimed at students, teachers, researchers and general public who work in the development and innovation of systems, products and processes where the synergy of the Engineering is consolidated; professionals in the areas of Mechanics, Electrical, Electronics, Computing and currently Mechatronics use the published contributions to support and develop new research, product innovation and technology development that allows to favor and cover the industrial and society needs in general.
Peer Review Process
Every article will be subjected to a rigorous arbitration process; the evaluation of the article will be made according to criteria of originality, relevance, topicality, contributions, scientific rigor and compliance with established editorial guidelines.
As it is an arbitrated publication, the Editorial Board approves its publication based on the concept of specialized pairs. The receipt of a document does not imply a publication commitment.
Once the manuscript has been received in OJS, a first check by the editorial team of the following points is performed
- The topic is in accordance with the criteria of the journal.
- Must have IMRDC structure
- It must be in the INGENIUS journal format.
- You must use the IEEE citing form.
- All references should be cited in the text of the manuscript as well as charts, figures and equations.
- The manuscript is original; to ensure this software is used to determine plagiarism.
The evaluation described above can take up to 4 weeks.
If any of the points above is not complete or there is inconsistency, an email will be sent to the author to make the requested corrections.
The author will make the corrections and re-send the contribution through an email in response to the notification and will also upload the corrected manuscript into OJS supplementary files.
The editorial team will verify that the requested corrections have been incorporated, if it complies, the manuscript will start the second part of the process and may be followed by the author through OJS, otherwise the author will be notified and the manuscript will be archived
The second phase of the process consists of the evaluation under the methodology of double-blind review, which includes national and foreign experts considering the following steps:
- The editor assigns two or more reviewers for the article.
- After reviewing the article, the reviewers will submit the evaluation report with one of the following results.
- Publishable with suggested changes
- Publishable with mandatory changes
- Non publishable
- The editor once received the evaluation by the reviewers will analyze the results and determine if the article is accepted or denied.
- If the article is accepted, the author will be notified to make corrections if required and the corresponding editorial process will be continued.
- If the article is denied, the author will be notified and the manuscript will be archived
- In the two previous cases the result of the evaluation of the reviewers and their respective recommendations will be sent
The second phase of the process lasts at least 4 weeks, after which they will be notified to the author giving instructions to continue with the process.
Open Access Policy
«INGENIUS» Is an open access journal entirely free for readers and authors that encourage the re-use and self-archiving of articles in databases, repositories, directories and international information systems. In this sense, «INGENIUS» has a Creative Commons 4.0 License of Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. and is included in the directory of Open Access DOAJ. The magazine only retains the rights to publish the works, both in print and digital formats.
The work published in the «Ingenius» Journal are subject to the following terms:
1.1. The Universidad Politécnica Salesiana (RUC: 0190151530001) Preserves the copyrights of the published works, and favors and allows their re-use under the Creative Commons Attribution-Non-commercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Ecuador license, for which they may be copied, used, distributed, transmitted And publicly display, provided that:
1.1.a. the authorship and original source of their publication is cited (magazine, editorial, URL and DOI of the work).
1.1.b. Do not use for commercial or onerous purposes.
1.1.c. The existence and specifications of this license are mentioned.
1.2. The publication will grant each item a Digital Object Identifier (DOI). Example:
Oñate, L. y Ordóñez, J. (2016), «Detector de bordes de imágenes usando un microcontrolador arm». Ingenius N.º 16, (Julio – Diciembre). Pp. 30 – 35. ISSN:1390-650X. https://doi.org/10.17163/ings.n16.2016.04
2. Open Access policy
2.1. «INGENIUS» Is an open access journal, available in open access with no time restrictions, and is included in the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ).
2.2. Self-archiving conditions: Authors are allowed to re-use published works, that is, post-print (or the final post-peer review or PDF version of the publisher) may be archived for non-commercial purposes, including their deposit in institutional repositories, thematic or personal web pages. Color Sherpa/Romeo: Blue.
3. Right of readers
3.1. Readers have the right to read all of our articles for free immediately after publication. This publication does not have any economic charge for the publication or for access to the material.
4. Automatic publishing
«INGENIUS» Makes its articles available in trusted third-party repositories (i.e. Redalyc, Latindex, institutional repositories ...) immediately after publication.
This journal uses different national and international repositories such as Redalyc, Latindex, Dialnet, REDIB ... The Portico repository and the Institutional Repository of the SUniversidad Politécnica Salesiana (Ecuador) are digitally archived and indexed.
6. Machine readability and interoperability
Full text, metadata, and citations of articles can be traced and accessed with permission. Our open social policy also allows the readability of the files and their metadata, facilitating interoperability under the OAI-PMH protocol of open data and open source. Files from both full-length publications and their article segmentation are available in open HTML, XML, but also PDF, E-Pub and ISSUU formats, making it easy to read on any device and computing platform.
Code of ethics
«INGENIUS» as a publication that seeks the highest international excellence, is inspired by the ethical code of the Committee on Publications Ethics (COPE), aimed at publishers, reviewers and authors.
- Originality and fidelity of the data: The authors of originals sent to «INGENIUS» attest that the work is original and unpublished, which does not contain parts of other authors or other fragments of works already published by the authors. In addition they confirm the veracity of the data, that is, that the empirical data have not been altered to verify hypotheses.
- Multiple and/or repetitive publications: The author should not publish articles in which the same results are repeated in more than one scientific journal or any other non-academic publication. The simultaneous proposal of the same contribution to multiple scientific journals is considered an ethically incorrect and reprehensible practice.
- Attributions, quotations and references: The author must always provide the correct indication of the sources and contributions mentioned in the article.
- Authorship: The authors guarantee the inclusion of those people who have made a significant scientific and intellectual contribution in the conceptualization and planning of the work as in the interpretation of the results and in the writing of it. At the same time the order of appearance of the authors has been ranked according to their level of responsibility and involvement.
- Access and retention: If the members of the Editorial Board consider it appropriate, the authors of the articles should also make available the sources or data on which the research is based, which can be kept for a reasonable period of time after publication and possibly becoming accessible.
- Conflict of Interest and Disclosure: All authors are required to state explicitly that there are no conflicts of interest that may have influenced the results obtained or the proposed interpretations. Authors should also indicate any funding from agencies and/or projects from which the research article arises.
- Errors in published articles: When an author identifies an important error or inaccuracy in his/her article, he/she should immediately inform the editors of the journal and provide them with all the information necessary to list the relevant corrections at the bottom of the article (always in a Note to the margin, not to alter the publication).
- Responsibility: The responsibility of the content of the articles published in «INGENIUS» is exclusive of the authors. The authors also commit themselves to a review of the most current and relevant scientific literature on the analyzed subject, taking into accounts in a plural form the different streams of knowledge.
Commitments of reviewers
- Contribution to editorial decision: Peer review is a procedure that helps publishers make decisions about proposed articles and also allows the author to improve the quality of articles submitted for publication. The reviewers undertake a critical, honest, constructive and unbiased review of both the scientific quality and the literary quality of writing in the field of their knowledge and skills.
- Respect of review times: The reviewer who does not feel competent in the subject to review or who cannot finish the evaluation in the scheduled time must notify the publishers immediately. The reviewers commit to evaluate the manuscripts in the shortest possible time in order to comply with the deadlines, since in «Ingenius» the limits of custody of the waiting manuscripts are limited and inflexible due to respect of the authors and their work.
- Confidentiality: Each assigned manuscript must be considered confidential. Therefore, these texts should not be discussed with other people without the express consent of the publishers.
- Objectivity: Peer review should be done objectively. Reviewers are required to give sufficient reasons for each of their assessments, always using the review template. The reviewers will submit a complete critical report with appropriate references according to the «Ingenius» revision protocol and the public guidelines for the reviewers; especially if it is proposed that the work be rejected. They are required to advise editors if substantial portions of the work have already been published or are under review for another publication.
- Text visualization: The reviewers commit to indicate precisely the bibliographic references of fundamental works possibly forgotten by the author. The reviewer should also inform editors of any similarity or overlap of the manuscript with other published works.
- Anonymity: To ensure that the review process is as objective, unbiased and as transparent as possible, the identity of the authors is deleted before the papers are submitted for peer review. If, for any reason, the identity of the authors, their institutional affiliations or any other information that jeopardizes the anonymity of the document has been compromised, the reviewer must notify the publishers immediately.
Commitment of publishers
- Decision of publication: The editors will guarantee the selection of the most scientifically qualified reviewers and specialists to express a critical and expert appreciation of the work, with the least possible biases. «Ingenius» chooses between 2 and 3 reviewers for each work so as to ensure greater objectivity in the review process.
- Honesty: Publishers evaluate articles submitted for publication on the basis of scientific merit of the contents, without discrimination of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnic origin, nationality, and political opinion of the authors.
- Confidentiality: Publishers and members of the working group agree not to disclose information relating to submitted articles for publication to persons other than authors, reviewers and publishers. The editors and the Editorial Committee commit themselves to the confidentiality of the manuscripts, their authors and reviewers, so that anonymity preserves the intellectual integrity of the whole process.
- Conflict of interests and disclosure: publishers commit not to use in their own research content of articles submitted for publication without the written consent of the author.
- Respect of the review times: Publishers are responsible for compliance with the time limits for revisions and publication of accepted manuscripts, to ensure a rapid dissemination of their results. They commit themselves to complying with published times (maximum of 60 days in the estimation/rejection from receipt of the manuscript in the Review Platform) and a maximum of 150 days from the beginning of the scientific review process by experts).
«Ingenius» adheres to the Code of Conduct Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE):
All the manuscripts under review in «INGENIUS» are inspected by a disciplined anti-plagiarism policy that ensures the originality of the articles. To do this, different special services are used, such as the TURNITIN system, which analyzes the texts for grammatical and ortho-typographical matches, which ensures that the works are unpublished and ensure compliance with the standards of editorial quality that guarantee their own scientific production.
«INGENIUS» also makes available to authors and reviewers, as well as the scientific community, a set of specific tools in the detection of plagiarism: Grammarly, Plagium, Copionic, WriteCheck, PaperRater, Plagarisma.net, Viper Plagarism Scanner or CrossCheck. It is a set of interfaces of free access and of payment, that supervise the originality of any manuscript and allow to control plagiarism.
Universidad Politécnica Salesiana from Ecuador contributes to the scientific excellence of the national and international academic community, sponsors maintaining six periodical scientific publications in various areas and disciplines of knowledge:
INGENIUS: JOURNAL OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Publication dedicated to studies related to the sciences of Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronics and Computer Sciences, the contributions are also integrated in what is now known as Mechatronics.
UNIVERSITAS: JOURNAL OF HUMAN AND SOCIAL SCIENCE
«Universitas» is a bilingual scientific publication of the Salesian Polytechnic University of Ecuador, published since January 2002 in an uninterrupted manner, with a semi-annual periodicity, specializing in Social and Human Sciences and its interdisiplinary lines: Sociology, Anthropology, Social Psychology, Social Development , Communities, Latin American Studies, Sociopolitical Processes, among others.
RETOS: JOURNAL OF BUSINESS AND ECONOMIC SCIENCE
«Retos» is a bilingual scientific publication of the Salesian Polytechnic University of Ecuador, published since January 2011 in an uninterrupted manner, with a fixed semiannual period (1 April and 1 October), specialized in Development and its transdisciplinary lines as Public Administration, Social Economy, Marketing, Tourism, Entrepreneurship, Management, Administrativeand Economic Sciences, among others.
SOPHIA: COLLECTION OF EDUCATION PHILOSOPHY
Sophia's goal is to theorize education from a philosophical point of view, with data from individual and collective psychology, teaching-learning experiences, sociology, culture and the development of empirical sciences, to renew, update and better articulate the conceptual, procedural and experiential level of education sciences.
LA GRANJA: JOURNAL OF LIFE SCIENCE
«La Granja» (pISSN: 1390-3799, eISSN: 1390-8596) is an international, physical, electronic, bilingual and bimonthly journal dedicated to the publication of original scientific articles with acceptance and review by academic peers or scientific referees. La Granja is a journal dedicated to studies related to chemical, biological, environmental, health, agronomic, livestock and veterinary sciences.
ALTERIDAD:JOURNAL OF EDUCATION
The goal of «Alteridad» is to contribute, from the Ibero-American context, to the socialization and debate of academic production in the field of Education, in the following lines: Curriculum and Cultures, Educational Policies and Teacher Training, Educational Evaluation, Education and Technologies, Special and Inclusive Education, and Education in relation to the other Social Sciences.
In 2007, the Universidad Politécnica Salesiana of Ecuador, considering the scientific and technological contribution made by the university community in the field of Engineering and the exact Sciences, which in many cases was not disseminated, creates the Journal of Science and Technology INGENIUS.
The contributions received in the first issues were strengthening the quality and scientific rigor requiring to restructure the processes to guarantee aspects such as the review of blind pairs and the consolidation of a scientific structure of the manuscripts in such a way that they fulfill the criteria required and that the contributions are aligned with the recognized scientific criteria at a international level; this is why in 2009 the magazine was no longer published, but for October 2010 the publication is resumed and all the required elements are progressively complemented.
At the moment the journal has a semiannual periodicity, publishes two numbers in the months of January and June; It is indexed in Emerging Sources Citation Index (ESCI) form web of Science, LATINDEX catalog, Regional Online Information System for Scientific Journals of Latin America, the Caribbean, Spain and Portugal, is part of the Directory of Journals of Open Access -DOAJ, belongs to the Ibero-American Network of Innovation and Scientific Knowledge, REDIB, Network of Scientific Journals of Latin America and the Caribbean, Spain and Portugal, REDALYC, besides is part of the Information Matrix for the Analysis of Jurnals, MIAR and is being evaluated in medium term to become part of important International Index SCOPUS.
Uses TURNITIN and CROSS_CHECK academic anti-plagiarism systems; the articles have Digital Object Identifier (DOI); Is a Open Access Publication with a Creative Commons license; The copyright and post-print policies are published in the SHERPA/ROMEO Auto-archive Policy Repository. The editorial process is managed through Open Journal Systems (OJS) and for the acceptance of the articles a scientific peer review process is carried out, with an editorial team and a review team of worldwide recognition.